For those of you who don't know (basically everyone who does not speak to my mother on a regular basis), we've made the difficult decision to send Eddie back to private school this fall. We never expected to change our minds about homeschooling, but I am confident that the right choice was made. And now for a moment of silence.
Basically, he has become a giant ball of clingy fury since summer started. We changed churches over the summer and made a few other changes, and it's just more than he can handle. Plus he misses his friends and teachers. He thrived in preschool. We enjoyed learning at home, and he is very teachable. The education itself is not an issue. But the separation anxiety we're struggling with right now needs to be resolved, and I think keeping him with me at home is only reinforcing it. So it's back to school we go, at least for now. And I get to spend another year devoting more time to my precious little daughter. I reserve the right to revisit homeschool at the end of the year. But if he's still in love with school, then I will find a way to keep him there.
So, that being said, I now have to change the name of the blog. Because keeping a captain's log of our journey, short though it was, has been fun and I don't plan to stop. And begin suggestions...now!
You know, it's harder to recognize that something isn't working and do what's right than it is to keep doing the same thing and hope it gets better. You tried something and decided that, while it was fun, it isn't in his best interest for right now. There's nothing wrong or hypocritical about that. And who says you can't still use some of the fun learning tools you got for homeschooling? Or you could sell some of them on Amazon and call it a day.
ReplyDeleteI say anytime you can pinpoint a way to help your child better develop, it's a success.