His advice, when he called me from work and heard the unmistakable sounds of human torture, was to take an easy day. The only problem, I told him, is that Easy Monday invariably turns into Still-Slacking Tuesday, which begets Why-Bother Wednesday, which begets Might-As-Well-Be-Friday Thursday, and then Friday is basically the weekend prequel. Basically one slack day at the beginning of the week turns into one giant bender of laziness. So I pulled the kids together with threats of destruction and they got some work done.
We did some math, some language, lots of toys and art. We enjoyed making planets out of Play-Doh until Little Moira decided to become a devour-er of worlds. Little kids freaked out over an afternoon thunderstorm, so I distracted them with the better-remembered parts of Benjamin Franklin's kite experiment. It is now generally accepted around my house that he was a cool dude.
And we made cookies just because.
Here is last Friday's dinner recipe. I didn't want to post it until I knew how it turned out, since it was my own creation and all. Making things up in the kitchen is kind of like interpretive dance. Sometimes you get a winner, and sometimes we're all left going "Huh.Won't be doing this again."
I mixed about 1/2 cup barbecue sauce, 1/2 cup of peach preserves, and a few shakes of soy sauce together (basically all that was left in the fridge until payday) and poured it over a small beef roast.
And added potatoes and threw it in the crock pot.
And then forgot to take pictures of the finished product. But it was amazingly delicious.
Now I leave you with a picture of a happy child stuffing sprinkles in his mouth, his greatest contribution to making cookies.
No comments:
Post a Comment